Tuesday, September 12, 2006

 

Live life to the fullest

Today I was talking to my cousin’s wife and I decided it was time to write my thoughts down. I called their house to check in to see how my cousin was doing and how his treatments were going. With Cancer you never know from day to day what is going to take place.

He was to have treatment for 12 weeks but his wife said today she actually has lost count as to where they are. There have been so many curves thrown his direction to cause many disruptions to his original treatment plan. During these 12 treatments he was to have three radical treatments which include overnight hospitalization because radiation was a part of those 3 treatments. Some of the disruptions have been a direct result of his blood counts were just to low to give him the chemo, and then the doctors were on holidays and so forth.

Because this seems like it is about half way and today was his second of the three radical treatments we hope that he does not get to sick from it. One of the side effects of this treatment is nausea, and his counts could take another drop and his hair could drop out.

My cousin and his wife have such a positive attitude even though his cancer is stage 4. They both believe that they have to be surrounded only by positive energy and thus do every thing in their realm to create that. My cousin seems to be staying fairly positive even though the doctors can not seem to offer any real answers. His wife told me today that they will not be able to really tell them any thing until around three months after the last treatment. That apparently is when they should be able to see if they have shrunk the tumor at all.

It is so ironic that you go through all this and you do not even know if it is working or not. They have been told it is not about prolonging life but about quality of life.

What I am learning more and more each day is that it is not about quantity but it is about living life to its fullest and the best you can as if today may be your last one here on earth. As I sit here writing this blog tonight I can not help but remember my 2nd cousin whom past away a year ago, as if he was alive tomorrow would be his birthday. He past away from Mad Cow disease.

After many years of living two lives he finally came forth and was living only one life and was trying to live it to the fullest and then a horrific disease took him and all of us by surprise. We just do not know what cards we are going to be dealt but I sure do know I want to live a good full life and that I want to live it the way God wants me to.

Any ways my thoughts are all over the place so I will end for today.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?