Monday, June 20, 2005

 

Fighting Cancer: Keeping it consistant

This is a blog that a friend of mine posted in regards to the Relay for Life I thought you might find this of interest to read. I agree with her thoughts totally and thus this is the reason for me sending you this email.

She has made very valid points.

So we are anxious to see how others feel on this topic. I would also like to gather a small poll to send the Cancer Society on this topic please watch for next post to take part in the poll. Thanks

Lex

Friday, June 10, 2005

I participated in the Canadian Cancer Society's Relay for Life back in the Spring of 2001. I remember being put off by the fact that I saw people there smoking - Hello? We're trying to put an end to cancer here? I'm participating in the event again this year - I joined last minute (the event is tonight), so I thought I'd check out their website to get a feel for things.

I found this on the FAQ: Why is there no smoking at the Canadian Cancer Society Relay For Life events? Smoking is strictly prohibited at all Relay For Life events. There is a correlation between the use of tobacco and cancer. Tobacco use causes about 45,000 deaths in Canada each year. The Canadian Cancer Society wants to set a positive example in the area of tobacco control by prohibiting the use of tobacco at events. Smokers are welcome to participate, but they are asked to respect the smoke-free environment. Excellent! Very good call! This is the kind of action the Cancer Society should be taking at their fundraising events to promote a healthy, cancer preventative type of lifestyle.

The other "beef" that I had with the event was that M&M Meats was a sponsor, and provided a char-broiled meaty BBQ for all of the participants. It was very much appreciated I'm sure, but consider that consumption of red meat increases one's risk for colorectal cancer - is a beef-burger BBQ really the most appropriate fare for a cure-for-cancer fundraising event? They didn't even have a veggie burger option - I brown-bagged it.

Taken from the Health Canada: It's Your Health website:

Risk Factors For Colorectal Cancer

Age: the older you are, the more likely you are to develop CRC. Most of those diagnosed are 70 years or older.

Heredity: you are more likely to get CRC if someone in your family, especially your immediate family, has been diagnosed with it.

Diet: a diet high in red meat and low in fruits and vegetables may increase your risk.

Weight: obesity and a lack of physical activity increase the risk.
Alcohol consumption: alcohol, especially beer, may increase your risk. Lower rates of CRC have been found in those who drink no alcohol.

Smoking: smoking also increases your risk.

So, there is no smoking at the Relay for Life, no consumption of alcohol permitted, it's a "Relay" therefore they are advocating an active lifestyle, this is all good. They can't help us with our age or heredity. So why do they goof up so profoundly on the diet portion?

Why can't they provide fresh fruit and salads, and veggie burgers in addition to (if not completely instead of) the bbq'd meat?

I suppose this is something only a vegetarian or person restricting red meat in their diet might notice, so I don't really expect all to agree. Am I being hyper-critical?

Does anyone else think that BBQ'd red meat is somewhat out of place at such an event?

Food for thought...

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?